Working for a Secure future
Since being appointed Minister for Economic Development, Tourism, Sport and Culture I have worked to deliver strong, sustainable growth and increased diversity across our economy. Jersey is in good shape with strong foundations, but the world is changing and we must be ready to face the future with confidence.
Developing and maintaining a strong, diverse economy is vital. It creates the wealth required to help those in our community who find themselves in need and allows society to develop in a sustainable fashion and for the benefit of everyone.
If elected I will continue to work on behalf of all Islanders to build a strong and productive economy and develop a fairer and more inclusive society.
Achievements in Office 2014 – 2018
- Establishment of Visit Jersey – returning the Tourism sector to growth.
- Establishment of Events Jersey – introduction of Super League Triathlon world series.
- Publication of Rural Economy Strategy – safeguarding the economic and environmental future of agriculture.
- Establishment of Farm Jersey – enhanced promotion of agricultural sector.
- Establishment of Jersey Sport – to guide and manage sports development and enable the participation in sport for everyone in Jersey.
- Establishment of the Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman to independently resolve complaints about financial services providers in the Channel Islands.
- Rejuvenation of Channel Islands Lottery with growth of proceeds to charity from £685,000 in 2013 to £1.4 million in 2017.
- Establishment of the Fort Regent Future Group – committed to the redevelopment and transformation of Fort Regent.
- Establishment of an enhanced inter-island ferry service to improve social, economic and sporting links between the Channel Islands.
- Contributing to the end of ministerial collective responsibility and supporting new leadership and structure for the public sector.
- Economy – To continue to develop all aspects of our economy and to provide new jobs and career opportunities for Islanders.
- Public Sector – To ensure we are delivering the best possible value for the tax payer before proposing changes to taxes.
- Education – To ensure the further development of our education system and children’s services and to provide a sustainable funding solution for a new higher education student grant scheme.
- Housing – To increase the supply of new homes.
- Health – To deliver the new hospital.
- Population – To introduce new population policy aimed at reducing long term population pressures without compromising the stability of our economy or our community.
- Brexit – To ensure Jersey is well prepared for Brexit by maintaining as closely as possible the arrangements we currently enjoy with Britain and the EU.
- Environment – To support further investment and initiatives to protect our environment and to pioneer the introduction of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Infrastructure – To redevelop Fort Regent and to create new sporting and leisure facilities within the island together with further improvements to the island’s infrastructure, public realm and to provide greater Island access to people living with disability.
- Transport – To continue to develop air and sea links and improve value and reliability for passengers.
My full manifesto is available at www.lyndonfarnham.je