I was educated at First Tower Primary School and Haute Vallee Secondary School before spending time working in Jersey’s health, fitness and financial service industries. I have always been passionate about politics and this led to me undertaking a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.
I am a committee member on the First Tower Community Association. I believe we need to work toward enhancing community participation in our constituency. I will hold regular surgeries so constituents can discuss their concerns with me.
Below, are just some of the key areas I shall prioritise:
Economy, Business and Tax
- The island needs to embrace a New Economy, whereby Jersey’s technology sector is at the forefront in providing sustainable long term economic growth.
- I believe alternative options to the zero-ten tax regime need to be considered because there is an overreliance on personal income taxation.
- Financial Services are fundamental to Jersey’s economy, contributing two-fifths of Gross Value Added in 2020.
- The diversification of service export business is vital in generating prospective income from overseas trade to enhance Jersey’s Gross National Income.
- I support the introduction of a living wage across all industries.
- The Government requires constitutional reform to ensure Ministers are accountable to the public and the States Assembly.
- In the long term Jersey needs a new University campus to support graduates integration into Jersey’s labour market to reduce the extent of external recruitment.
- The upskilling and reskilling of islanders in tertiary based education will need to be prioritised because 17,000 jobs are expected to be lost in Jersey by 2035 as a result of increased automation.
- I will seek to introduce a Homebuyer scheme for first-time buyers by ring-fencing stamp duty from purchased property with a market value over 2.5 million, to provide shared equity loans between 5 to 20 percent of a purchase price, which will be concomitant with a deferral payment upon the sale of such properties.
- I believe Andium Homes rental policy needs to be reduced in consideration of outstanding debt obligations and future borrowing requirements in building new homes.
- I will seek to negotiate a 3 percent stamp duty surcharge on the purchase of a second or additional property to constrain demand.
- I support the introduction of a Points-based immigration system.
- We need to ensure work permits are granted to support businesses where labour shortages exist.
We need to build a much needed hospital, however, Government expenditure needs to be re-appraised in consideration of the prospective national debt increase.
Social Policy and Care
- I believe free pre-school hours should be increased from 30 to 40 hours so parents can seek full-time work.
- Retirees who receive their old age pension should be entitled to the Home Carer’s Allowance for the care retirees are responsible for.
I hope you consider me as one of your four votes.