Delivering for your future
Over the last three years I have consistently delivered for Islanders and for our future. I am not afraid of facing problems and making difficult decisions. I believe that by uniting as one community, we can work towards creating a strong future.
Jobs and growth
- Helped 4,500 people into paid work and 300 long-term unemployed into jobs.
- Created the Community Jobs Fund, employment grants for employers, incentive schemes for Youth and Hospitality, a new construction training programme and a new apprenticeship scheme.
- Produced strategies for economic growth and diversification such as Digital Jersey.
- Promoted Jersey, its industries, history and culture around the world, particularly in the UK and France, our two nearest neighbours.
- Continue the ‘Back to Work’ programmes and create a new skills centre to provide more training opportunities for young people.
- Restructure and dramatically increase government support to all sectors of the economy, including agriculture and tourism.
- Introduce tax breaks and promote innovation in new technologies and niche areas such as Fintech/Bitcoin.
Community for all
- Enabled 50 families to buy new homes with the Deposit Loan Scheme and improved social housing provision.
- Introduced discrimination legislation and family friendly legislation.
- Increased tax allowance for families with children at university, and reduced marginal tax rate thus benefiting 80% of taxpayers.
- Funding for disability research so that we can make better informed decisions about supporting people with extra needs.
- Started to reform the Health Service and redesign the public services.
- Supported and invested in Jersey Island Games 2015.
- Continue to work towards a community where everyone feels valued, welcomed, treated fairly and has a future.
- Deliver new homes for Jersey families and protect green spaces.
- Update the Mental Health Law and radically improve mental health support.
- Deliver a new hospital.
- Deliver the e-government programme.
- Work to give more influence to St Helier.
- Reform the electoral system and continue to support the Parish system with Connétables in the States.
Delivering for your future
Failing to invest in our essential infrastructure at the right time only makes it more expensive in the long run. That is why we have invested in a new liquid waste system and started the process for delivery of a new hospital.
Savings across government have been achieved and priority placed on medium term financial planning.
Further challenges remain. Whilst we have introduced the Interim Population Policy, we must now deliver a policy for the long-term and continue to deal with the ageing population. The cost of government must be controlled.
I am an accountant by profession. I am married with two daughters.
In the States, I have sought to demonstrate effective leadership and balanced judgment.
At the core of every decision I have made is the desire to act in the best long-term interests of our community.
Please visit my website gorst.je and vote for me as Senator on the 15th October 2014.[divider] [space height=”20″]
Address: Les Roches Fleuries, 3 Le Relais, La Route de l’Etacq, St Ouen JE3 2FB
Contact number: 720403
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org